Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is a classic.  But, being a boy, I'd never thought I'd watch the movie, read the book, or associate myself with it at all.  I certainly didn't think that I'd be in a play of it.  But I am.  How in the world that happened I do not know, but once I got to listen to the story, I was pleasantly surprised.  I actually really liked it, and am so glad I tried out for the play my school is doing.  My character is Mr. William Collins, for those who've read the book or seen the movie.  For those who don't know, I am basically just the creepy, socially awkward cousin who comes to take the family's estate.  So with that in mind, here are some sketches I thought I'd do of him in order to develop his character for me.
I took this opportunity to do some sketches of clothing from this time period.
       Very preliminary sketches of his face.
   My first attempt at drawing Mr. Collins...  It didn't turn out like I expected it to...But...  Okay, wait, pause I must say that there is something I do not like about this sketch.  Somethings wrong with the old man.  I just don't know what.
Then after that old-man-in-tree-failure-bad I decided to try a more warrior-like, dramatic aspect to it.  That didn't work out either.  Snap.
Then it came to me.  Ah-HA! I've done it!  Some body bring the fudge pie! To add to the effect, let me add a quote from the play, said by him.
"Novels?!  Why, I never read such works! But... I have with me an excellent volume of Fordyce's sermons."




6 comments:

  1. You are so very cool, dude. I'm a fan of Mr. Collins AND that quote. He is hilarious. Keep us posted on how the play goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pride and Prejudice, and I love your drawings! Mr. Collins is basically that kid who gets to hang around the "cool" kids because he walks around telling them how cool they are. All the time. Then he spends the rest of his time telling everyone else what so and so said or what they wore or how awesome their bedroom is. Only everyone else actually thinks the cool kids are stuck-up bullies and that if Mr. Collins was cool himself he wouldn't follow the stuck-up "cool" kids around so much. Not so much creepy as stuck-up and not very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aedan, I'm am still sooooooooooooooooo upset I'm going to miss your play! Let me know if there are any dates other than that weekend. I love the sketches, especially the last one. Very well done. Hope you had a most excellent birthday! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aedan, I am a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice, and that picture you did of Mr. Collins (the last picture) is really great!! You did a great job bringing out his personality in your drawing. Keep sketching:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stummbled across your blog and let me just say, your sketches are fantastic Aedan! Your last drawing is an awesome depiction fo Mr. Collins. Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job Mr. Collins! I'm still mad i din't get a scene with you because you played the funnyst part EVER!!!The drawings are Great.

    ReplyDelete